Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Apple... Stop Hatin'

Apple... Why? As a developer I see the benefits of using OSX as a development platform (at least over Windows), what I can't get over is the fact that I can't develop iPhone applications under Linux. I don't mind paying the $100 and going through the review process, what I do mind is being restricted to an inferior operating system on inferior hardware. In my first post I wrote about my setup, 8-Cores 8GB DDR3 1866GHz RAM, and the Ati Radeon HD 5870. I didn't mention that my build came in at ~$1000 (I'v made upgrades here and there but 1k is a good estimate.)

Now lets compare my ~$1000 computer to a similarly priced Apple product. The iMac, $1200.

  • 4GB RAM
  • Quad Core (2.5GHz)
  • Ati Radeon HD 6750M


What... Those specs don't even come close to mine. Yes, I can buy a Mac Pro, and yes I know that I'm paying for the brand as well (+OS). But in order to stay competitive on the hardware side of things with regards to developing, I can't be spending $2000+ every other year for an up-to-date machine.

Apple, you need to open up to Linux developers (especially for the iPhone).

0 comments:

Post a Comment